Toronto Family Law Lawyers

We know that contemplating family issues from a legal perspective can be frightening and emotional. We handle all family law matters from less complicated cases to very complex cases involving the division of family property. We will work diligently to provide answers that are well-researched and best suited to your unique family circumstances. We will be the voice of reason in sensitive family law situations.

We accept Legal Aid Ontario Certificates . For more information, click the Legal Aid Ontario link.

Call us for a consultation today.

We Provide the Following Family Law Services:

Our family law services are explained in further detail below. Click the link to scroll down to more information related to the services you seek.

We also handle the following family law matters:

  • Inter-jurisdictional and Foreign Matters
  • Complex Investigation of a Spouse’s Business
  • Complex Investigation of a Spouse’s Assets
  • Hague Convention and International Child Abduction
  • Legal Research and Opinions
  • Strong Advocacy in Court

All of our family law services extend to same sex relationships and marriages.

Toronto Separation Agreement

Separation from a partner or a spouse can lead you to either resolve your family law matters amicably or with court intervention. Whether you are in a common law relationship or married to your spouse, an amicable resolution is often reached by preparing a separation agreement which outlines all of your rights and obligations to one another. Divorce may be contemplated in such agreements. Read More


Is the legal dissolution of a marriage by a court or other competent body. Making the decision to divorce your spouse can be a complicated matter if you have children and property to divide and remarrying after a divorce may need an opinion of a lawyer as to whether the divorce is valid in Canada. Read more

Toronto Domestic Contracts / Agreements

There are various agreements available in family law to set out the rights and obligations of parties during the relationship and following the breakdown of relationships. Agreements such as cohabitation agreements (when parties are unmarried and living together), premarital/marriage agreements (also known as prenuptial agreements), and separation agreements can be very useful tools in giving parties a roadmap of how to conduct their affairs during relationships and following a break up. Amongst other matters, these agreements can clearly outline the ownership and division of property, parenting and custody scenarios, spousal support and child support obligations.

At our firm, we encourage the draft of cohabitation agreements or marriage agreements and we view the concept much like an insurance tool. In the event of a breakdown of a relationship, such agreements can allow a couple to foresee, and in turn, execute an amicable resolution to matters after separation and create a sense of calm in an otherwise very upsetting time in one’s life.

Cohabitation Agreements

If you are considering moving in with a partner, it is important to have a cohabitation agreement in place, setting out your rights and obligations to one another. In family law, if you reside with one another for a period of 3 years you will be deemed to be a “common law” couple. This means that after the 3 year mark, one of you may be liable to the other for spousal support. Although non-married couples in Canada do not have property rights against one another, in some circumstances if you own property, your partner with whom you cohabit may gain some rights to property that you own, under equitable law, or laws related to fairness. For example, if you have resided with your partner in a house you own, and your partner has taken part in upkeep of the home, renovations, or made some other contribution over a length of time to the home, without an agreement in place, your partner may be able to advance a “constructive trust” claim, claiming some right to the value of your home. These claims are complicated and it is important that you have an agreement in place setting out your rights and obligations to one another prior to marriage and on the breakdown of your relationship. Should you decide to get married at some point after entering into a cohabitation agreements that agreement will then be deemed to be a marriage agreement, or if significant aspects of your relationship have changed you, you can renegotiate a marriage agreement. Contact our firm to speak with one of our Toronto cohabitation agreement lawyers regarding your marriage agreement needs.

Marriage Agreements

If you don’t already have a cohabitation agreement and you intend on marrying, a marriage agreement may be appropriate. Marriage Agreements are the same type of agreement as a prenuptial agreement. Marriage agreements can be prepared before a couple marries, or after, in which case the agreement becomes a postnuptial agreement. If you have property to protect or wish to release spousal support obligations or set out your spousal support obligations in advance, it would be a good idea to enter into a marriage agreement in advance of your marriage ceremony.

Marriage agreements much like cohabitation agreements set out the rights and obligations of a couple to one another in the event of a breakdown of the relationship and subsequent separation. They can set out how a matrimonial home (the home you reside in during the marriage) can be treated after the breakdown of the relationships, and how to deal with your individual assets in any way you want. There are certain rights that cannot be contracted out of in a marriage agreement, such as the right to remain in a matrimonial home after the breakdown of a relationship and until certain obligations under your agreement have been met.

As married couples or common law (after 3 years of living with one another) couples may have support obligations to one another should a cohabitation or marriage end, marriage agreements are also often used to outline what support obligations couples may have to one another after the breakdown of the relationship. Some couples choose to release all obligations to one another, meaning they agree that neither party is to pay the other any spousal support no matter what happens in the future, and others may choose a specific amount if a set of circumstances are present, for example the couple have children and one parent stays home to parent the child full time while the other works full time. Contact our firm to speak with one of our Toronto marriage agreement lawyers regarding your marriage agreement needs.

Separation Agreements

If a couple has not entered into a cohabitation agreement or a marriage agreement, it will be important to promptly commence the negotiation of a separation agreement after the breakdown of a relationship. Such agreements contemplate how property can be divided between the parties, set out custody and parenting schedules, and outlining support obligations. There are a myriad of ways these agreements can be prepared to be legally enforceable or acceptable under the law and it is important that you consult a lawyer before embarking upon any agreement with your spouse verbally or otherwise.

These agreements are complicated and our advice is to always prepare such agreements between you and your separated spouse through the assistance of a lawyer and have full and independent legal advice before signing such witnesses. Separation agreements prepared through online resources or drafted by the parties themselves, seldom meet the requirements under the law and are often subject to expensive court litigation which may cost you much more in the long run, if you do not consult with a lawyer. You should not prepare such documents without the assistance of a lawyer, as in doing so, you could create obligations to one another that may have either been negotiated in a different manner by a lawyer, or may not have automatically existed. Finally, agreements entered into without independent legal advice of a separate lawyer for both parties, and those entered into without sufficient financial disclosure, carry the risk of being set aside by a court months or even years later. Contact our firm to speak with one of our Toronto separation agreement lawyers regarding your separation agreement needs.

Toronto Child Custody Lawyers – Access and Parenting Plans

“Custody” of Children involves the right of a parent to make decisions related to the welfare or best interest of their children. “Access” involves where the child(ren) live and how much time the child(ren) will spend with each parent. Our Toronto family law lawyers work with our clients and opposing parties to arrive at parenting plans that are beneficial to the unique circumstances of each household either through negotiation or court intervention. Read more

Toronto Spousal Support Lawyers

The entitlement of a common law partner or a spouse to spousal support is factual and dependant on the circumstances during and after cohabitation/marriage. A spouse with a higher income may have the responsibility to support the lower income spouse. The difference in spouse’s incomes is just one factor that may lead to a determination of spousal support. How long spousal support must be paid by the supporting spouse is also dependant on the situation. The amount of spousal support payable is determined under the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines. It is important to meet with a lawyer determine the factors that may make you eligible to receive spousal support.

Toronto Child Support Lawyers

All parents must support their child(ren) if the children are considered “dependants” under the law. When common law or married spouses separate, the living arrangement of the parties dictate which spouse becomes the “payor” of child support and which spouse becomes the “recipient” of support. The amount of child support payable is determined by the Child Support Guidelines. Read more

Toronto Property Division Lawyers

Property division in common law relationship and marriages are treated differently under the law. We handle all types of property division matters from simple to very complex property division involving various assets and businesses. In such cases, investigations of financial records related to the parties’ assets and businesses may be required, including investigations to determine whether a spouse has any other sources of income.

Toronto Child Welfare and Protection

Child welfare agencies in Ontario work to protect the interests of children. The law allows the these child welfare agencies to remove children from their families and to ask courts for Court Orders to protect children. The law concerning this area of family law is the Child and Family Services Act. If you have received any court documents from any child welfare agency, you should immediate contact our law office.

Legal Aid Ontario provides low-income individuals with a range of services and in particular family law services.

We accept clients with valid certificates from Legal Aid Ontario, but we do not make eligibility determinations for Legal Aid. It is your responsibility to call Legal Aid directly and explain to them your circumstances and apply for a Legal Aid Certificate first before calling our office.

If you have been approved of a Legal Aid Certificate and have been provided with a Certificate Number (“CE” number) and a Client Number (“CLT” number) please contact us for an appointment.